We are so tired of fancy cameras that have one amazing feature, but CAN’T RECORD INTERNALLY. Canon just revealed it’s new 35mm sensor, Full-HD camera – the new Canon ME20F-SH. To be fair, 4 million max ISO is very impressive. I could marry that feature alone, but is it worth $30k for that one special feature?
The new design is strangely similar to the design of the sexy Alexa Mini and clearly ready for drone action. Granted, this new innovative tech means you and I can shoot in the moonlight. This thing can see where you and I can’t, that’s pretty sexy. It’s been said to target markets such as nighttime surveillance, reality TV, and nature & wildlife documentaries. Makes sense.
It’s a great rental camera at best when you know you’ll need that feature.
Here’s the dirty diaper.
This magical box of goodness can’t record internally. And there’s no onboard monitor to see the menu or change your settings. I guess they figure anyone that would use it owns a Small HD. Personally, if you can’t record internally, you can keep it. I’ll kick my feet up and wait for the next camera that can. Word!
Here are the specs:
- ME20F-SH Multi-purpose Camera
- 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor (single), effective pixel count: approx. 2.26 million pixels
- Minimum subject illumination: Less than 0.0005 lux (at maximum 75 dB gain setting, equivalent to an ISO sensitivity of over four million)
- Pixel Pitch: 19 Microns
- Lens mount: Canon EF mount (Cinema Lock type)
- Optical filters: ND filter with two density levels (motorized manual / auto) IR cut filter (motorized manual)
- Frame rates: 59.94P / 59.94i / 50.00P / 50.00i / 29.97P / 25.00P / 23.98P
- Gamma: Canon Log, Wide DR, etc.
- Two 3G / HD-SDI BNC jacks (1080P / 1080i / 720P)
- One HDMI connector
- Genlock terminal: BNC jack (input only)
- Remote terminal: φ2.5mm stereo mini-mini-jack (Canon-proprietary protocol), Round 8-pin jack (for RS-422, Canon-proprietary protocol)
- Microphone terminal: φ3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- AF: One-shot AF
- Auto-exposure: Combined interlocking (iris / gain / ND / shutter)
- White balance: AWB, color-temperature setting (setting range: 2000 to 15000 degrees Kelvin), natural light, light bulb, Setting A, Setting B
- Digital teleconverter: 2x, 4x
- Power input: 4-pin XLR DC11-17V, Terminal block 2-pin jack DC11-17V
- Operating temperature: 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) to 104 degrees F (40 degrees C)
- Body dimensions: Approx. 4 inches (102mm) (w) x 4.5 inches (116mm) (h) x 4.4 inches (113mm) (d) (excluding protrusions)
- Weight: Approx. 2.4 lbs (1.1 kg) (body only)
- Availability: December 2015
- Price: $30,000
Furthermore… I can’t even pronounce the name. Come on! Can we get something a little less complicated than ME20F-SH?